I often hear people say, “Oh, you have to wait until spring if you really want to sell your home.” While spring and fall may prove to be the busier home buying seasons, the real estate market doesn’t hibernate in the winter! There are plenty of ways we can make your home stand out and sell during the winter months. Here are some of my favorite tips.
- Price it right. While it’s always a priority to price your home right, it’s extra important during slower winter months. Winter isn’t the season to shoot for the moon with your pricing.
- Stage for coziness. You know by now that I’m a big believer in the effectiveness of staging. In the winter, we stage for coziness! Think warm throws over the arms of chairs and sofas, an extra quilt at the foot of the bed and cozy nooks for curling up with a hot cup of tea.
- Let there be light! During drab winter months, we want to let in as much light as possible. Have your windows professionally cleaned. Change out light bulbs and place the highest wattage allowed in each fixture. Remove heavy drapes and open shades wide. Light makes your home much more inviting and can make it appear roomier.
- Decorate for the season. Though the bigger holidays are behind us, it’s still a nice touch to spruce up your home for winter. A large evergreen winter wreath on the front door adds great curb appeal, and a Valentine’s Day centerpiece in the dining room makes for a festive addition. (I can also lend you some décor when I stage your home.)
- Tap into technology. Consider installing timers for some indoor and outdoor lights. Putting lighting on timers ensures that your home shows well from the street even when you aren’t at home. You could miss potential buyers if they drive by at dusk to sneak a peek at your home and can barely see it! (Besides, good lighting makes a home safer.)
- Display all-season pictures of your home. If you have pictures of your garden or the front of your home during warmer months, frame and display them. It’s wonderful when buyers can see how inviting your deck is for a backyard barbeque in the summer or for gathering cut flowers for the table in the spring. Show off how it looks year-round if you can.
- Offer a winter refreshment. While I don’t recommend going overboard with scents, on a cold winter’s day (especially if you have an open house or multiple showings) you might want to prepare and offer a treat. Apple cider, hot cocoa or soups can be a lovely touch. Encouraging your potential buyers to sit down and enjoy a drink or snack gives them more time to imagine themselves in your home.
- Light the fireplace. If you know you will be having a quick showing while you are home or if you have an open house with your realtor present, consider using your fireplace. Nothing creates a sense of home and coziness quicker than your fireplace roaring in the background.
For more tips and staging advice to sell your home quickly this winter, contact me. I’d love to partner with you to reach your real estate goals in any season.