If you’re anything like me, you’re currently soaking in the warmer temperatures and breathing a sigh of relief that spring is FINALLY here! That Virginia winter just didn’t want to let go this year! But now that spring has officially arrived, it’s time to revel in it. And you don’t have to limit yourself to enjoying the season only when outdoors. Bring it inside your home, too!
I’ve got some great tips for clearing away the heaviness of winter and brightening up your home. But before I start on the tips, as a realtor, my first advice to you, whether you’re selling a home or not, is to declutter and clean! Give yourself a fresh slate to work with, so you can fully savor your new spring touches. Wash curtains, dust light fixtures, clean windows and scrub every corner before you start decorating. It makes such a difference!
Tips for Bringing the Spring Season Into Your Home
- Start with your entrance. Swap out the winter wreath for a spring one filled with seasonal colors and flowers. Make a beautiful potted arrangement for the front porch to welcome guests in.
- Don’t leave all the flowers outside — bring some in! Fresh flowers are the perfect pop for any room. Try a small bud vase in the bathroom with a single hydrangea bloom. Set a bunch of fresh daisies on the breakfast table. And fresh roses or tulips in different hues are perfect for the dining room!
- Don’t forget the green. Flowers aren’t the only touches you can bring in from the outside. Plant a fresh potted herb garden for the kitchen windowsill, or include some greenery from the yard in your flower arrangements. A trail of ivy curving around a vase of fresh flowers is the perfect finishing touch!
- Freshen up your throws and pillow covers. Try lightweight cotton throws instead of the winter fleeces. And new pillow covers can change the feel of the room. Lightweight fabrics, pastels and neutrals are the perfect choices for spring. Let your home reflect some of the beautiful flower colors or fresh spring patterns like gingham, tiny blooms or trailing vines.
- Swap out the small details of your home. Try lighter sit-arounds and pictures that reflect the season. Swap in new hand and dish towels in floral prints or a lightweight Turkish style.
- Seasons reach us in so many ways, and wafting scents often remind us of which season we are in. Spring certainly has its own fresh smells. Try a floral candle in the bathroom — rose or lavender. Pick up some of Mrs. Meyer’s spring scents for cleaning. And open those windows to let the freshness in (that is, as soon as this pollen clears)!
- Speaking of opening windows, even when they aren’t open, let the sunshine in. Swap out heavy draperies, open blinds and let the light pour in. After all, sunshine feeds the soul!
- Move the furniture. Nothing energizes me more in my home than a fresh, new arrangement in our most lived-in rooms. Mix things up a bit without costing yourself a dime!
And there you have it. Eight great ways to celebrate spring in your home. If you are looking to sell your home, let’s work together. When you list with me, I stage your home for free using your furniture. I’d love to help you through your next real estate adventure!
Looking to buy or sell a home in Gainesville, Haymarket and Manassas? Call Realtor® Marcia Goodman at Samson Properties at 703-819-4776.