Preparing your home for sale can be a daunting task. It takes time, elbow grease, and yes, some cash. Here’s my list of top to-dos, tips and tricks to get your home ready to list.
- Make it sparkle. You’ll need to clean your house like you’ve never cleaned before (or hire a professional). No skimping this time around — wipe ceiling fans, scrub the inside, sides and even top of the refrigerator and vacuum behind and under furniture.
- Declutter. I don’t mean shove, I mean declutter! Get rid of things you don’t need. Box up and store items you can live without for the next few months. Donate clothes, books and other items you no longer use. Think of it as a cleansing for you home and your soul. If you have the time, try the 40 bags in 40 days challenge!
- Depersonalize. Remove most of your family pictures, especially if your home is full of them. You want people to imagine themselves in your home, not you. Store any “unique” collections for the time being (and yes, that includes your 57 troll dolls and 89 Star Wars figurines). Remember, it’s only temporary. Yoda and friends can come back out in the new house.
- Organize pantries and closets. This should be easier once you’ve decluttered. Organize these nooks to create the illusion that there’s lots of space! Remember to keep the floor clear.
- Paint in neutral colors. If every room of your home is a different color, you may want to consider repainting in a neutral color. Your daughter’s pink and yellow striped walls probably look great with her bedroom set, but a neutral color gives prospective buyers a clean slate to imagine their perfect décor.
- Take care of the outside. Mow the lawn, trim the bushes, paint the house and trim or power wash, if needed. Make your home look as tidy and welcoming as possible. Think mulch in the beds, seasonal plants and flowers. Create an inviting outdoor environment on a deck or patio by carefully arranging furniture. Curb appeal makes people want to see more, so nail your outdoor presentation.
- Make sure each room has a purpose. If you have a catch-all, storage room in your extra bedroom, change that. Clear it out and create an inviting guest room. Help buyers visualize the potential in each room.
- Revamp bathrooms. Make your bathrooms feel like spas. Add luxurious towels, thick bathmats, and pretty lotions, soaps and scented candles. Light colors can make the room brighter — white, light greens and light blues work well.
- Brighten it up. Your house will present best in bright lighting. Make sure there are working light bulbs in all fixtures (indoors and out), and use the highest wattage that is safe. Clean all fixtures and windows, too.
- Create open walkways. Arrange your furniture to allow for natural, open pathways throughout your home. Take a test walk and remove or rearrange items as needed.
- Have your home staged. When you list with me, we’ll use your furniture and décor and stage your home to sell – for free! We can create nooks for conversation, unique groupings of sit arounds and tiny tricks to make each room more inviting.
For more tips and advice as you prepare your home for sale, contact me. I’d love to help you create your own personal to-do list that will lead you to success!