We all know that buyers are everywhere. When buyers want to buy they buy and when sellers want to sell they sell. The key word is WANT! So if you are ready to sell you home then keep reading. We also know that buyers first see your home on the internet so your home must be seen at its very best! As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. The internet photos will tell the story of your home. So here are the five basic must dos before pictures are taken and your home is on the market!
1. Cleaning and De-cluttering. This is really important and very inexpensive. Since you are moving anyway, start de-cluttering and packing up all personal items and extras around the House. de-clutter shelves, counter-tops, closets, pantries, dressers… After removing all the extras and personal items, then CLEAN until the house sparkles. That means to clean everything from top to bottom and from kitchens to bathrooms! Steam clean carpets and fix creaky floors. A clean carpet helps to eliminate bad or stale odors! Clean and clutter free kitchens work wonders in photos! YIKES! This kitchen is cluttered and stressful. You don’t want a photo like this on the internet!
2. Lighten and brighten. Clean all the windows inside and out! Replace or simply remove old curtains, shades or blinds. If they are in good shape keep them open or up so that nothing blocks the light from the windows. Simple updated lighting fixtures are a must!
3. Stage it Right. Rearrange furniture in a conversational way without buyers seeing the back of the furniture. Use only a few accessories and furnishings to enhance the room. Remember that less is more. Bring the outdoors in and keep it simple.
4. Fix what’s broken. Fix leaks under the sink, remove any mildew stains, ensure plumbing is in good working condition. Fix lights or outlets that don’t work. Replace old plug points with new safety fixtures. All of this goes a long way when it comes to the home inspection process. It is less costly for you to have it fixed rather than a professional electrician.
5. Enhance the exterior. Enhance the home’s curb appeal in the front and back yard by adding fresh dark mulch. Clean up the edges of gardens and sidewalks. Ensure current plants and grass are well cared for and manicured. Use seasonal flowers and bushes for color. Remove any dead plants, flowers, or tree branches. Clean the front entrance of cob webs and bugs! Add a new door mat.
I sure hope these tips will get you started on preparing to sell your home!
Call me! Together we can get your home sold! 703-819-4776