If you mention to friends and family that you’re considering selling your home during the holidays, you’ll likely be met with phrases like: “That’s not a good time to sell,” “You’ll go crazy with all the showings and holiday events!” or simply “You might be a little nuts.” But if you’re toiling with the idea or it’s a necessity for you this year, I’m here to tell you it’s doable! (And also that you’re not crazy!)
Why the Holidays Are a Good Time to Sell
I’m here to tell you, there are some great reasons why the holiday season is actually a good time to sell.
- Less competition. Because so many people believe the statements above, there are fewer homes on the market over the holidays. This is good news for sellers, because you’ll have less competition.
- Motivated buyers. Think about it: If buyers are out there looking during the holidays with everything else they have going on, odds are they are pretty motivated to purchase. Buyers shopping over the holidays are often moving because of a new job, for tax reasons or other pressing reasons.
- Great showings. Think about how cozy and inviting you make your home during the holidays. Buyers will feel warmed and welcomed and see your home at its best. It’s a great time to invite people in!
Staging Your Home for the Holidays
You may have guessed that you might need to take a slightly different approach to your holiday decorating this year. You’re right. Some realtors say to forego a tree or a menorah. I don’t think you need to take it that far, but here are a few suggestions:
- First things first. This year especially, you need to clean and declutter before decorating for the season. Toss, donate and tidy as you go. It’s also a good idea to stage before you decorate. Think staging isn’t in your budget? When you list with me, I stage for free! We’ll use your furniture to arrange and present your home at its best.
- Less is more. One good rule of thumb is to do less than you usually do. After you’ve staged, your home is arranged to show off its best features. You don’t want to bury them in clutter, so go lighter than usual.
- Create warmth. Decorate with the goal of creating your coziest and most inviting home. Accentuate the best features with touches of the season. Try live greenery, berries and candles on the mantle or in a bay window sill. Put winter teas and simmering spices into classy jars with holiday lids and use them as décor in the kitchen.
When your home is on the market during the holidays, you don’t have to forego the pleasures of decorating. But keep buyers in mind as you pull out your treasures. The Santa that laughs when you walk past and the Rudolph toilet seat cover might need to sit this year out.
If you’re looking to buy or sell in western Prince William County, contact me! Remember, I stage for free when you list with me!
Looking to buy or sell a home in Gainesville, Haymarket and Manassas? Call Realtor® Marcia Goodman at Samson Properties at 703-819-4776.